“Haikakan Banak” defense-academic journal was established on 11 October, 1994, by then Defense Minister (now the RA President) Serzh Sargsyan’s order on the recommendation of the First Deputy Defense Minister LtG Norat Ter-Grigoryants. The works on creating the journal were assigned to Col Hayk S. Kotanjian, Doctor of Political Science (now ret. LtG, Professor).
The goal of the “Haikakan Banak” defense-academic journal is to further:
- the promulgation of the domestic and world advanced defense-academic thought, knowledge and experience in the RA Armed Forces;
- the professional development of the RA Armed Forces staff, the moral, psychological and military upbringing, the cultivation of the sublime sense of patriotism;
- training academic cadres in the RA Armed Forces;
- the formulation of the results of the INSS strategic research and their presentation to the RA military-political leadership, as well as the heads of interested agencies of public administration system;
- consolidation of the army-society liaison;
- the elaboration of the Armenian defense-academic terminology, and development of the conceptual and terminological apparatus.
The trilingual (Armenian with Russian and English summaries) “Haikakan Banak” journal is in the list of the doctoral periodicals of the Supreme Certifying Commission and does hold its specific place among other academic periodicals.
The journal covers a wide range of topics: it includes academic publications regarding utterly various fields of the military affairs. Throughout more than 20 years of its existence the journal has been into correspondence with over 400 specialists from the Armed Forces, other power structures, what’s more, from civilian academic and higher educational, including also foreign institutions.
The issues of the journal are delivered to foreign diplomatic missions in the RA and to the RA diplomatic missions abroad, as well as to the CSTO Joint Staff and to George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies. Among the correspondents of the journal are military experts from the RF, the US, Germany, Israel, Turkey and other states, their articles are also fully published in the original (Russian and English) languages.
From 2008 onwards, each issue of the journal has been dedicated to the defense reforms being carried out in a certain sphere of the Armed Forces, moreover, those expert-analytical texts are actually being included in the troops tactical training programs. The latest issues of the journal were dedicated to the multi-sided elaboration of the “Nation-Army” concept and covering its implementation issues.
In cooperation with the Political Science Association of Armenia, in 2012 the editorial staff published “Defense Security Explanatory Armenian-Russian-English, Russian-Armenian, English-Armenian Dictionary” (around 3000 simple and compound terms) and in 2015 — another dictionary much bigger in volume (14000 simple and compound terms).
6 monographs on security studies and military psychology, and 1 expert and teaching handbook have been published by the journal.
The Editors-in-Chief of the “Haikakan Banak” defense-academic journal were: in 1994-1998, Col Hayk Kotanjian (now LtG, ret., Head of the Academic-Advisory Council), in 1998-2005, Col Arkady Sargsyan, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Academician, Armenian Academy of Engineering and the RF Military Academy). From 2005 up to now, the Editor-in-Chief of the “Haikakan Banak” defense-academic journal is Colonel (ret.) Davit Chilingaryan, Head, Academic-Publishing Center, NDRU, MOD, RA.